As I said in a previous post, we are now able to synthesize speech from a text input, and play the result directly on the audio output jack using a home-made interface between the synthesis engine and alsa.
We had also to port our speech recognition hello-world on the beagleboard. We first compiled the CMU Pocketsphinx library for the board, that is to say for an arm target, and then the hello-world program.
The program successfully recognized commands we recorded and played on the laptop, while having the beagleboard’s audio input connected to the laptop’s headset output by an appropriate cable.
We now have to interface electronically our microphones to the beagleboard’s audio input.
Apart from the progress in the audio, we also managed to compile a linux kernel module hello world on the board, despite the current custom kernel’s lack of certain header files.
The helloworld ran properly, and we were able to write a string to it, and read it back.
The next step will be to start developing our custom linux device driver, responsible for casper’s mechanical control.