Today we have faced numerous problems. The ethernet module causes a crash in our central station and we still haven’t figured out the solution. We also tried to connect all card’s (6 captor-6 traffic lights cards) to our main station and they failed to join our the network. As Alexis consulted us to do, we lowered the baud rate of the CAN bus so that problem is solved. All cards join the network and CAN baud rate now is configured at 125kbp/s.
Regarding the communication of the server with the train we were able to track the position of the train and send it to the server. Our goal now is to remotely control lights and train, and we are working on it.
We can now control the attitude of our copter with the RF remote control. We have also implemented the possibility of turning on/off the motors directly with the RF remote control. Bertrand has made a script for running all the control tasks at boot. We can thus take control of our Copter as soon as the gumstix has started and is running Linux, without using any SSH connexion.
Then, we took the Copter outside for a first flight in real conditions. We succeed in taking off, but I wasn’t very comfortable with it. Then, we had a big crash: Bertrand accidentally put the thrust too high at the takeoff. The Copter overturned and damaged/broke some propellers. Fortunately, we put a protection onto the motors’ boards yesterday. They thus don’t seem to have suffered damages. Here are some photos after the crash. (Photos are from Samuel Tardieu)
the broken propeller... what a shame.
Crash of the 22th April, 2011
Tomorrow, we’ll try to improve our PID algorithm for pitch, yaw and roll, and then we’ll probably work on the Kanade algorithm, for X and Y control loop.