ELECINF344/381

Partie interactive du site pédagogique ELECINF344/ELECINF381 de Télécom ParisTech (occurrence 2011).

Catégories

RoseWheel & the accelerometer

In relation with our previous post we made some further investigations on the physic underlying the accelerometer measurements.

Theoretically, it’s really easy to extract a tilt angle from an accelerometer. We just have to take the arcsin of the right axis measurement, depending on the frame used, divide by g and we get the tilt angle.

for us :  theta = arcsin(Ax/g) where :

theta = tilt angle, Ax = measurement on the x axis, g = gravitationnal constant

This solution works well while the accelerometer doesn’t translate.

If the accelerometer is translating with a non zero acceleration component, extracting a correct angle measurement becomes really tricky. As we don’t only measure the gravitationnal acceleration, but also the translating acceleration, we can’t apply directly the previous equation.

however, even without encoders, it’s mathematically possible to extract the tilt angle. As we have a 3-axis accelerometer, we can extract from the measurements of 2 well chosen axis of the accelerometers a set of 2 equations with 2 unknown variables that are the tilt angle theta and the translating acceleration x and thus it’s possible to resolve this set of equation.

In the frame of the accelerometer we have :

g*sin(theta) + x*cos(theta) = Ax          (1)

-g*cos(theta) + x*sin(theta) = Az        (2)

where, g is the gravitational constant, theta is the tilt angle, Ai is the acceleration measurement  of the accelerometer along the i axis. We gave this set of 2 equations to matlab using the solve function.

And it returned 2 solutions:

theta = -2*atan((Ax – (Ax^2 + Az^2 – g^2)^(1/2))/(Az – g))
theta = -2*atan((Ax + (Ax^2 + Az^2 – g^2)^(1/2))/(Az – g))

We tried each of theses solutions, but none of them worked. We investigate some more about it and the main problem is that, experimentally, the measurement aren’t perfect and are skewed by noise.  Thus, even if there is no tilt angle, Az isn’t perfectly equal to g. Furthermore, even if theoretically Ax² + Az² is supposed to be equal to , experimentally it’s not the case, and that leads to calculate the square root of a negative number, that isn’t a great thing in the real world.

So, our conclusion is that even if this set of 2 solutions is mathematically right, it’s not relevant in the real world and we decided not to use it.

In addition, we lied, equation (1) and (2) aren’t perfectly right, we also have to add the acceleration terms from the rotational movement of the chassis around the wheels axis. That leads to :

g*sin(theta) + l*theta_dot_dot + x*cos(theta) = Ax          (1)

-g*cos(theta) – l*(theta_dot)² +  x*sin(theta) = Az             (2)

That’s why we finally decided to put the sensorboard as close as possible from the wheels axis so that l is small as possible. That hopefully able us to neglect this two terms.

Anyway, we think that a proper set of coefficients for the measurement noise and the process noise in the Kalman filter will be sufficient to correct those problems.

To be continued.

RoseWheel : banc de tests, la fin approche…

Notre banc de tests étant particulièrement sensible au niveau de la référence (le potentiomètre dans l’axe du moteur), nous avons persévéré jusqu’à obtenir une précision satisfaisante, les résultats de nos prochaines expériences ne serait pas significatifs sinon.

Le potentiomètre est connecté à un ADC, sa précision étant parfois aléatoire, nous avons refait une régression linéaire mais les valeurs utilisées sont maintenant les moyennes de chaque borne max et min. Nous avons effectué de nouvelles mesures pour des angles proches de 0 pour plus de précision sur cette zone dans laquelle le système se trouvera le plus fréquemment :

 

De plus, nous corrigeons l’angle de référence (colonne E) en fonction de la commande (G) en compensant l’erreur mesurée (F).

On obtient un résultat plus satisfaisant mais probablement encore améliorable :

Comparaison de la commande angulaire envoyée avec la référence obtenue grâce à un potentiomètre placé dans l’axe du moteur.

 

On peut voir qu’il y a un certain délai pour afficher une valeur stable mais le calibrage est raisonnable (nous pensons savoir où l’on est ralenti mais nous n’avons pas encore commencé à investiguer sérieusement).

Demain, nous allons donc recommencer la confrontation « commande VS référence » sous Matlab, un aperçu sera normalement disponible très bientôt.

Copterix : simulation du filtre de Kalman

Avec Axel, nous nous sommes penchés sur le filtre de Kalman. Après de longues lectures, nous sommes arrivés à clarifier les équations mises en jeu.

Nous avons finalement décidé d’opter pour un vecteur d’état contenant les trois biais des gyroscopes ainsi qu’un quaternion déterminant l’attitude de l’hélicoptère. Nous étions initialement partis sur un vecteur d’état contenant les trois biais des gyroscopes ainsi que les deux premières colonnes de la DCM (Direct Cosine Matrix) qui elle aussi permet de déterminer l’attitude de l’hélicoptère. Ce changement nous a permis de réduire de 2 éléments notre état.

Nous avons dans un premier temps implémenté le filtre sous Matlab. Voici quelques illustrations de nos avancées :

 

 

La courbe en rouge représente l’état prédit et la courbe bleue l’état mis à jour. Nous avons choisi d’accorder plus de confiance aux valeurs estimées par le filtre qu’aux mesures. Malgré un fort bruit, le filtre se comporte plutôt bien.

Mais encore pas mal de travail reste à faire notamment au niveau de la détermination des différentes constantes mises en jeu dans le filtre ou encore au niveau du testbench.