ELECINF344/381

Partie interactive du site pédagogique ELECINF344/ELECINF381 de Télécom ParisTech (occurrence 2011).

Catégories

Copterix : First outdoor flight

We can now control the attitude of our copter with the RF remote control. We have also implemented the possibility of turning on/off the motors directly with the RF remote control. Bertrand has made a script for running all the control tasks at boot. We can thus take control of our Copter as soon as the gumstix has started and is running Linux, without using any SSH connexion.

Then, we took the Copter outside for a first flight in real conditions. We succeed in taking off, but I wasn’t very comfortable with it. Then, we had a big crash: Bertrand accidentally put the thrust too high at the takeoff. The Copter overturned and damaged/broke some propellers. Fortunately, we put a protection onto the motors’ boards yesterday. They thus don’t seem to have suffered damages. Here are some photos after the crash. (Photos are from Samuel Tardieu)

the broken propeller... what a shame.

Crash of the 22th April, 2011

 

Tomorrow, we’ll try to improve our PID algorithm for pitch, yaw and roll, and then we’ll probably work on the Kanade algorithm, for X and Y control loop.

Copterix has had a harsh day

Today, we added the yaw servomechanism on the Copterix and it responded pretty well, it is now able to fall slowly like a fall leaf. Sorry we don’t have any video this time, but you will soon understand why…

Our octocopter went through a lot of trouble:

  • When we passed on battery, motors were twice as powerful as on sector, and even though we lowed them a lot, it finally crashed on the ceiling. That was of course not a real test environment (indoor flights are not the exact purpose of a copter), and that is exactly the reason why this accident occurred. It turned out that we just had to change a propeller and our copter was back on tracks.
  • Since yesterday evening, Copterix tends not to start properly. We thought first it was because of the motors card security, which turns off every motors in case of a brutal startup, but it was late tonight we finally discovered with our teacher that it was just a bad contact between a part of this card and the rest of it on the i2c bus, and we finally fixed it.

Afterwards, we performed a Radio Frequency test and it went really well: we think we will be able to control the thrust, roll and pitch by remote control after a few callibration.

Finally, we started our web site ! We plan to add a lot of content about our project during next week, keep on checking !