Today we replaced the oscilloscope by the real laser. As expected, it does not exactly work the same way, but our first test with « The Riddle » is not so bad. You can see it on the video below, it is little as we do not have a lot of space in the classroom. You can see that the image is blinking, this is partly due to our code, but also partly due to the camera sync, and the « real » result is cleaner than what can be seen here.
The new design suggested by our teachers has been implemented, except for the FIFO which for the moment does not use the internal RAMs This will normally be done tomorrow. The FIFO, as it is now sometimes, leads to some bugs that we do not really understand yet. We will also investigate those issues tomorrow. Nevertheless, we have a functional design, the one we used tonight to make the video.
Tweet to ILDA
Concerning the way we will display tweets, Sam suggested us to make a smooth horizontal scrolling. Our first idea was to generate a big ILDA image containing the whole tweet on one line, and to clip it at display time, just before sending it to the laser. It seems that is was not the best way to act. So, we are now trying to generate an ILDA animation corresponding to the scrolling with a Python script. We are on our way and we have yet disclosed a few points of intersert to change in our design to make it work soon.
The library we mentionned last time (libmicrohttpd) seems to fit quite well with our needs. It is not a complete Web server, but it is enough to make the card serve a static HTML page and a little REST API to get tweets and validate them. The authentication is for the moment very basic it consists in a « secret » token as segment of the URI. It is not very secure, but it is not our priority at the very moment.