ELECINF344/381

Interactive web site of Télécom ParisTech's ELECINF344/ELECINF381 Robotics and Embedded Systems classes (a.k.a. ROSE, 2012 session).

Categories

Ball-E’s new PSSCs

Through yesterday’s presentation and teachers’ comments, we have defined our new Project Specific Success Criteria.

Here they are :

Work Manager Deadline
Kalman filter working Otilia 04/24/2012
Complementary filter working Pierre-Hugues 04/24/2012
ADC to measure battery level working Scott 04/28/2012
Zigbee working Otilia 04/28/2012
Wi-fi working Matthieu 04/24/2012
H bridges Pierre-Hugues 04/23/2012
Motors’ piloting Pierre-Hugues 04/24/2012
Fixing PCB/IMU/Batteries Matthieu 04/25/2012
Cooling circuit Mattthieu 04/25/2012
Ball-E is standing Scott 04/27/2012
Ball-E moves the way we want Scott 05/02/2012
We can pilot Ball-E with an Android smartphone Matthieu 05/04/2012

Yesterday, I also managed to make the leds blink on our Ball-E board, let’s begin the Wi-fi !

Matthieu Tardivon

First life signs of our board

Yesterday we got our PCB soldered, next step is obviously to test it. First happy thing was that the board didn’t get on fire when powering it on.

We created a new ChibiOS project that will be the base for our code. To do things the proper way, we also made a new board folder, which is specific to our PCB. It specifies all the settings of the various GPIOs on the µC, such as the alternate functions.

One minor problem we hit, is that stm32f4 isn’t supported in the openocd build that is running on lab’s desktops, so we had to build master branch of openocd’s git. Thanks to Sam, that was an easy task. After that, the JTAG just worked out of the box.

Once everything was setup, first functions we’ve tested is powering on/off the red led, and the serial port. Testing them made us realize that the serial port has actually been wired the wrong way, TX on the usual RX pin of the micromatch. Hopefully, we aren’t the only group to have failed on that, so we can use SaMoRa’s serial cable :-) .

Another mistake on the schematics we found out, is that one encoder plug isn’t properly usable: one pin is on a timer, while the other one is on another timer. This is no big problem, since it can easily be done in software, and that it seems really unlikely we’ll use encoder.

Yet another mistake on the PCB, is that the plugs aren’t named, so we need a map to know what function is on what plug.

Anyway, despite the various problems, all the features tested are working, so that’s great news !

Pierre-Hugues Husson

RoseAce : It’s going to shine

We finally finished our PCBs. I took care of the pinout and the placement, then I started the routing in trying to put in one PCB all the logic  the power supplies and the leds. But the routing in the center is very complicated and loaded (with the leds and the fpga in a same place and constraints with some heavy components), that would have forced us to get a 4-layers PCB. Which with a 50cm long PCB would have cost an outrageous price.

So we split it in 2 PCB, one with the logic and the power supplies, Sylvain has dealt with.

And one with only the leds and leds driver, Jeremy has dealt with.

During this time I started to deal with Gumstix and install a Debian armhf on it. I’m currently operating the WiFi to make it works properly and in access point with a dhcp and a web server inside.

Félix

Personal work

Yesterday, I managed to use FreeRTOS in order to make the green and red leds blink. My STM32 card now looks like a Christmas tree !

However I had trouble today using Expedition PCB, I’m having a hard time trying to connect the microcontroller’s pin to anything else…

Let’s give it another try tomorrow !

Matthieu

Matthieu Tardivon