There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, led it be
Last week end, I kept on… guess what… working on the nRF51822! In my last post, I explained how difficult it was to test my program since I didn’t trust that much the Android BLE stack. So I first tried to install the Nordic Master Control Panel on Windows, and well… how can I say that in a polite way… Windows definitely s*cks!!
So I was quite desperate and I decided to refocus myself on one simple task at a time. First I grabbed the final version of the tutorial I was working on on the Nordic’s Github in order to have reliable foundations for later. This mean I dropped all the work I had done before, however this helped me a lot to deeply understand how the BLE stack works on the nRF. I managed to flash the program and I tried to test it with a Bluetooth dongle plugged in a Linux computer. However the tools for testing Bluetooth on Linux are not user-friendly and on Sunday I was not yet able to test the program.
In the meanwhile, I started a huge refactoring task. The Nordic’s program is great, but all the code is split in only three files! So I decided to break all that in several files, and it’s a quite long work. I finished yesterday and I removed all the warnings, but the code doesn’t work yet (there is a runtime error I have to fix today).
Also yesterday, I finally understood how to use gatttool (the Bluetooth swiss-knife for Linux), and especially how to get notifications from the other device (in the end, I begin to believe that BLE can actually work). So I was able to test the example program (before refactoring) and everything works like a dream (the led shined on until tomorrow, led it be)!
We also had a team meeting yesterday morning in order to celebrate the return of Adele and explain to each other what we had done the week before. Globally we did a great job: the PCB is almost finished (thanks Adele!), the Android app for scanning drop has made huge progress (thanks Lauriane!) and I start to really understand the BLE stack on nRF (and how to test BLE app). However we are a bit late on our PSSC, so we have to keep motivated!
Finally, I could let express all my creativity yesterday when Sam complained about our Android app which had no logo. Now it’s fixed:
May the force be with you!