Despite the end of ROSE, we’ve been working hard on the Expelliarose project the past 2 months. We knew we were close to a really nice product and we didn’t want our work to end on a mitigated result (those who attended the presentation or watched the demo know we had a few remaining bugs).
Therefore, we put a lot of work on solving the issues we identified:
- IR protocol malfunctioned in some cases: the reception is now more robust (up to 5 meters, which could be improved with a higher power LED),
- Some gestures were too close to be distinguished: we redesigned most of the gestures and crafted an extensive database with different people to account for the multiple ways to grasp the wand,
- Some thresholds had to be adjusted: the DTW algorithm yields quite noisy results (well, our implementation does) that must be processed to be relevant. We are now able to accurately detect any of our 10 gestures while the “null gesture” (ie. an unknown movement) is identified most of the times (but occasionally gives a mismatch, still work to do on that one),
- The Android application crashed from times to times: we broadly tested many scenarios to track and fix those bugs, and improved the UI to give the user more output about the ongoing battle,
- The wand was quite large and looked massive: we completely redesigned it to make it look more appealing. We got rid of the screw thread, we changed all the board connectors to much smaller ones, we switched to slimmer (but lower-capacity) batteries so that the PCB became the only limiting factor, we changed the wand’s head to simplify its assembly, and we added some tasteful decoration (at least we believe so),
- “Expelliarose” was incomprehensible to pretty much everyone but the ROSE crew: we decided to adopt the name Incanto, that sounds like a spell and evokes incantations, therefore magic.
We presented this refreshed wand to the Parrot Awards jury last week.
We attended the award ceremony yesterday, and we are super proud and happy to announce that we received the first prize of the competition!
Therefore, amazing news: Incanto will go to the CES 2016 in Las Vegas with the Parrot delegation!
Meanwhile, we’ll continue to work on the wand to make it even slimmer and prepare, hopefully, a crowd-funding campaign. Will you join the wizardness? Follow us on Twitter to get updates (yet, we might take a summer break first…).
We thank Parrot, Sam & Alexis for their trust and their help. To be continued!
— Parrot (@Parrot) 29 Juin 2015