Categories

Makahiya – websockets, music & server

Hi everybody,

During the last 3 days, I worked on the websockets, the music downloading and a bit on the server.

As said in my previous post, I had some problems with the websockets: sometimes the connection between the plant and the server couldn’t be established and I didn’t know why. So on Thursday morning, I carefully reviewed my code and made several tests in order to find the origin of this problem. What appeared from these tests is that when one connection was succesfully established, I had to wait for a certain amount of time in order to have another successful connection. So I made the tests by properly disconnecting the plant from the websocket instead of simply shutting it down. And this solved the problem. On the server, there is a mechanism that periodically checks if the plant is connected to the websocket and if not, close it. But if I try to reconnect the plant to the websocket before it has been closed, it creates problems and most of the time doesn’t work. It was a good news to finally solve this problem.

On Friday, I worked a little on the server, to improve it’s appearance and make it send messages to the plant. But the tests I did to check if my modifications worked well didn’t cover all the cases and Tanguy had to make some corrections after having run other tests.

After that, I decided to work again on the music download. But this time, I tried to first download it in Flash and when the flash is full, read the music from the flash. I used Arnaud’s code (that he had himself taken from someone else) to write in flash and implemented this idea. And it worked well: on Friday evening, I was able to download 900ko of music and to play it. After that, I tried to use the flash as a circular buffer in order to be able to play longer music. And on Saturday afternoon, I managed to do it. There is still one (small) problems: the sound sometimes ‘freezes’ for some milliseconds so I will try to find the origin of this problem if I have time.

Before we receive the PCB (which should happen tomorrow afternoon), I will integrate the wifi code in the dev branch, the one that holds the code that will be flashed on the PCB. And as soon as we receive our PCB we will test them and finalize our project: add the whole logic (properly react when the user ask for turning on a led for instance).

Leave a Reply