Categories

Makahiya – CAD, wifi & sound

Hi everybody,

Writing my previous post, I realized that I hadn’t tested the reception of data through the WiFi module, only the emission. So on Thursday morning, I did some tests to check this part and it works immediately, which was a good news. Then, I worked (again) on the touch detection part of our project, as it’s a quite important part of it and for the moment, it’s unreliable. Despite many tests and solutions tried, it’s still unreliable. It depends a lot on how the wire is fixed to the leaf and on the leaf itself… We’re now able to detect touches almost every time but we have many false positive also. The variability of the results makes the work on this task very painful. Indeed, it often happens that you think you’ve reached an acceptable solution, you do 2 or 3 tests that work very well, and when you want to show it to someone else, it doesn’t work any more. And if it works one evening, it doesn’t work next morning. More work is thus required to make it work, even though it’s not the most interesting part.

I also worked on reacting to messages sent by the server. It’s now possible to select the color of the leds on the server and to send it to the plant. We faced several problems with Tanguy when doing this part, most of them coming from the database, which sometimes crashes due to an overflow of requests. But now, it seems to work well.

On Friday, I spent most of my time working on the box that will contain our board. I decided to put the PCB and the servomotors in the same box, and the LEDs in another one. The PCB will be placed below the pot while the LEDs will be at the base of the trunk. I’ve 3D printed a first version of the PCB box (without the roof) and the dimensions are good (I took margins to be honest, and I’ll remove them for the next version). This week-end, Alexis has to buy a new plant that we’ll use for the final presentation. So tomorrow, I’ll start to put all our stuff on it.

On Friday evening, we finally received the audio jack plug. We thus could have tested the sound and after some debugging, it worked well. However, the music download doesn’t work for now, so I’ll have a look to it to find where does the problem come from and see if I can solve it.

During the next few days, I’ll work on the mechanic (containers for the PCB and the LEDs, placement of the wires and of the optical fiber), on music download and maybe on the touch detection. And we also have to think about what we want to show during the final presentation.

Leave a Reply