Categories

Makahiya – components choice & server

Hi everybody,

During this second part of the week, I’ve  tested several servomotors to help me choose which one was the best for our need. And I still don’t have a don’t have a final answer. The HS81 seems good but it’s quite expensive. As this choice doesn’t have impact on our schematic and PCB design (we just need a 3-pins connector, whatever servo we choose), we still have some time to take this decision.

As I said last wednesday, I tried to improve the communication with the CS4344. I improved it because now, I’m able to send the data to the codec using the DMA, which is good as it doesn’t use the microprocessor. But I still have a problem: the music is played too quickly by the codec. I analyzed every signal coming into the codec in order to find a difference between Samuel’s code and mine, but I couldn’t find any difference. I’ve missed something for sure, because there is an explanation (I’ve always been told that a computer does exactly what you ask it to do, not more not less, so the error comes from me).

I didn’t have time to test the software codec on the development board this week (in fact, I preferred starting to work on the server).

I’ve also added one powerful LED to the schematic and modified a little the pin allocation on the microprocessor. We just need to change the voltage regulator and add the last resistors and our schematic will be finished (except if Alexis finds mistakes in it).

Finally, I spent some times learning how a server works, what is an API on this context, how to build it and so on and so forth. We will use Heroku to deploy our (small) server as it provides a simplified interface and environment. For the programming language to use, I hope to manage to take a decision today or tomorrow between Python and Javascript, in order to be able to start coding.

Next week, I will focus on the server code and if possible, I’ll test the software codec on the development board.

Leave a Reply