[SpiROSE] Rust, Device Trees and Mechanics

Hello! This have been a long time since I’ve posted here. Lots happened!

First the mechanics

The motor we chose was doing lots of noise, so I had to investigate this and try to get a solution to avoid having to buy another motor. I discovered the noise was coming from a broken ball bearing.

The faulty ball bearing was hiding in the bottom of the motor.


After ordering a new ball bearing, the motor was running perfectly… Up to the moment I realized the motor was not the only one to do a big big noise… The planetary gearbox is using 3 needle bearings that does a lot of noise too…

I recycled an old Brushless Motor, a 4 pole 2100kv 3-4S LiPo sensored BLDC motor. This motor is not supposed to fit the low speed requirements (~20-30Hz), so I had to test with the real world load. We engineered PCB prototypes without the components to simulate the load, and mounted them over the newly installed motor.

New sensored motor speed test without load

Load test, with a big protection. We care about our lives 🙂

The two black plates over the vice are the prototype PCBs (pre-sensitized FR4 plate we machined with a CNC to fit the real size). The system is sensored, so we just placed a logic analyzer at the hall effect outputs (and divided by 4 the outputs, as it’s a 4 poles motor). The result is that we can go from ~5Hz to more than 30Hz, so the motor fits perfectly with the load!

Good news: the motor is now fixed in the structure, mechanical engineering is about to end!


Discovering Rust

This have been a long time since I wanted to learn Rust programming language, but :

  • I didn’t have time to learn it
  • I didn’t have a good and simple project to start with

Thus, when I saw we had to make a simple Command Line Utility for our SPI communication with the FPGA, we decided to make it in Rust. The first day was hard. Very hard. I discovered how we use rustup and cargo correctly, how we setup Rust to always develop with the nightly version, and how to cross compile for armv7.

SpiROSE Command Line tool

After hours of questioning myself about how it works, reading the docs, asking questions to people who Rust and error reading, I finally got a working SPI CLI for SpiROSE. Ok, that’s cool, but how do I get the SPI device now?

SPI, Yocto, dtsi

As the current distribution is not really made for embedded (ubuntu), we wanted to try Yocto, a build system made for packaging a GNU/Linux inside embedded systems. Yocto is widely used for that, but has a complex curve of learning. As the time was getting short, we rolled back to ubuntu.

So, how to get SPI device in /dev/spidevX.X? The solution is:

  • Install Spidev module (we recompiled the kernel to integrate it inside)
  • Update the Device Tree Blob given to U-Boot to give the address of the SPI hardware to Spidev and enumerate it inside /dev

As nobody knew about Linux Device Trees in the group, I hardly tried to put the new device in the dtsi, to get the new Device Tree Blob to give to U-Boot.

I finally achieved this tonight. Tomorrow will be reserved for testing the SPI output (already tested with a logic analyzer) by connecting it to our FPGA development board.


Now this week will be full of tests, to get the PCBs ready to use as short as possible!


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.