Over the holidays, I tried implementing a projection algorithm to display an image on the icosahedron. Roughly speaking, the idea is, for each LED of the icosahedron, to find out in which triangle in the un-rotated icosahedron it is. This step works fine. Then, on this triangle, we can put axes and get 2D coordinates, and finally find out which pixel (i.e, which colour) that is. It turns out that this step doesn’t work as well as it should. There were annoying glitches in the coordinates, for instance, and that was a nightmare to debug.
On Monday, we decided to ditch this idea and to go with Lucas’ method, which works fine, and what’s more, which is simple. Simplicity is underrated.
Tomorrow, we’ll build and test the main PCB