While waiting for the test PCB, I have to find something to do. Our laser cutter is only 30cm large for 610cm long, so I find a way to cut our wooden plank it in three ways. I hope that there will be no need to add something, but if the plank bend, we will have to put some wedge in the middle of the plastic plank.
I also have to unbend the wood. We ship a 3m plank that came wound, so I make something like this
I also cut a plastic plank for our test box
And made a better scheme with CorelDraw for those who want to make the same device
At last, I take a look at Ilan code for the beginning of a thread that will check the state of all the box.
As mentionned here, we will use 62 LED mounted small “Petal-PCBs” and 12 “processor PCBs” to drive groups of 4 to 7 Petal PCBs. Now you might be asking “how on earth will you assemble all these PCBs and solder all the wires involved on a structure rotating at 30 rotations per second ?”, and that would be a fair question…
You might remember we printed a Phyllo shell with success a week ago. The material we used for this shell however was not meant to be translucid, but actually phosphorescent. This meant our shell was not as translucid as it could be, and it’s phosphorescence was also problematic since we want a high contrast between the phyllo when lit with inner LEDs, and when not lit by any light source.
We therefore ordered a more suitable 3D filament. This time the result for the shell printed with this new filament was not as successful:
The deformation on the first picture was probably caused by the temperature of the nozzle (from which the filament goes out) being too low, which caused the printed raft below the shell to detach itself from the platform.… Read more
Last time, I wrote on this logbook, we were happy, we find a way to control our marbles without a side effect. But we did not think about one thing. With two marbles, our assembly plan works, however, with 9 marbles, it does not.
On Friday, after this discovery, I was thinking about this problem in my car: We need to keep the marbles near the metal because, without this, they will affect each other. On the other hand, we need to keep them far from the coils since we need to have some distance to make them flip.… Read more
In my last post, I was a little sad. We were about to abandon the heart of our project: marbles because they were too powerful. Alexis gives us some hope by saying that we may have better result with some iron. So we try the configuration on the right (there is an iron plate between the two marbles), but it gives bad results. The iron does not constrain the magnetic field. It just attracts more the two marbles. We were about to try with some steel when the miracle came…
The miracle came from coils
In fact, the coils already have some iron on them.… Read more
Have you ever played with some neodymium balls? These are potent magnets, so we had to find a way to use them in our device without making them dependent on the magnetic field of another marble. Because if we had to manage this field, we would have always to power our coils, and they would have burnt. That’s why we choose to buy many different balls to try to find the best compromise between the distance and the diameter of the marbles.
With a plank of beech, we cut with a laser engraver. We made many different holes of many diameters with various distance to know which one is the best.… Read more
We discussed in our post Generating 3D Models the script I wrote to generate the 3D model of our phyllotactic sculpture. In this script, I start by generating a polyhedron made up of quadrilaterals arranged in a phyllotactic pattern:
Then, my script takes as input a 3D model of a petal and copies it on each quadrilateral:
One problem with this method is each quadrilateral is different, which means I had to slightly deform each petal to fir the quadrilateral’s shape. Figuring the exact 3D transformation to accomplish this seemed a little too time consuming so I used lattices in blender, which are a way to deform objects according to a 3D grid.… Read more
We made a few major modifications in our design : it turns out flex PCBs aren’t possible. Even though everything isn’t quite decided yet, here is a summary to clarify the situation. I will keep you updated of any major modification 🙂
A Phyllo is composed of three parts:
a fixed base,
a rotating half sphere placed on this fixed base serving as support for the lighting of the sculpture,
a hull made of petals that covers this sphere.
A Phyllo has 78 petals that can be illuminated individually (8 spirals with 6 petals lit by spiral arms, or 13 spirals in the other direction).… Read more