Catchin’ up with the posts

To hell those marbles

Last friday I mainly worked on getting the new marbles (the ones that hadn’t undergone any heating process) to the desired magnetic field values. Remember, on this post I had already manage to have the marbles we already heated at the desired value. It needed a heating time around 5 min, so I instinctively thought that for marbles that had undergone no heating, it would need a longer time. I was wrong. And not slightly wrong, but more like completely wrong.

So I started heating at 300°C for 6 mins, it was too much and the magnetic field almost completely disappeared (barely noticeable).… Read more

It’s summertime for our marbles (more like Venus’ summertime)

Wednesday I worked on trying to have all our marbles with roughly the same magnetic field, something around 20-40 arbitrary unit (as measured by the sensor).

After slightly changing the mount so I could have the marbles on a fixed point, I went on and measured the magnetic field of all our marbles. Because our marbles were heated with different processes we had a wide range of values.

With this montage the marble is centered and stationary over the coils and therefore above the sensor.

With this montage, I sorted the marbles going from 20-40, 40-60 and so on to 100-120 a.u.… Read more